Casual Games Leader’s Take on the “Zombie Survival” Genre Pits You and Your Front Yard Against Legions of Lovably Laughable Undead
PopCap Games today announced the immediate availability of Plants vs. Zombies™, a humorous action-strategy game suitable for all ages. Conceived and designed by George Fan, senior game designer at PopCap’s San Francisco studio and the creator of Insaniquarium™, Plants vs. Zombies pits you against legions of invading zombies bent on overwhelming your lawn and making their way to your front door. To defeat the hordes of living dead trespassing on your lawn, you must purchase and plant a wide range of lovable mutant flowers, vines, trees and other foliage that has zombie-combating powers and abilities. Plants vs. Zombies carries a retail price of US$19.95 and is available online for PC and Mac at www.popcap.com as well as other leading game portals including RealArcade, MSN Games, STEAM, Wild Games and Yahoo! Games.
“We love zombie games as much as everyone else, but unlike other undead offerings we wanted to create a zombie game that would appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers alike,” explained George Fan, senior game designer at PopCap. “It’s been great to see both casual and hardcore gamers in our beta test group get totally absorbed in the game, clicking intensely as the zombies chomp on their front yards.”
Featuring five different modes of play, Plants vs. Zombies presents you with a front lawn and encroaching zombies striving to reach your front door and defeat you. Choose from an ever-increasing assortment of specialized, zombie-battling plants to slow down, confuse, weaken and ultimately destroy the vegetation-munching undead before they can traverse your yard and reach your front door. Thoughtful selection of plants, judicious use of resources and clever planting/placement decisions are key to overcoming more than two dozen different kinds of zombies, each with its own combination of “skills” and behaviors. Additional obstacles and challenges in later levels include the setting of the sun, a creeping fog that obscures part of your view – even a swimming pool that takes up much of your lawn.
Features of Plants vs. Zombies include:
· Five different modes of play: Adventure, Survival, Puzzle, Zen Garden and Mini-Game Challenges
· 50 levels in the main Adventure mode and more than 50 more in the other game modes, with limitless replayability
· More than four dozen plants, from cherry bombs and peashooters to melon-pults, wall-nuts and sunflowers
· Dozens of different zombie types, including back-from-the-dead miners, businessmen, football players, even a zombie bobsled team!
· Suburban almanac tracks your progress and provides vital stats on plant and zombie types
· Crazy Dave’s trunk-o’-the-car shop where you can purchase special “power plants” and other zombie-exterminating tools as well as potted versions for your Zen Garden
· New fluid animation technology for prettier plants and zippier zombies
· 14 original musical pieces that dynamically adjust to the intensity of the game in real time
· So frighteningly fun you’ll soil your plants!